Spicy and lush this carrot cake is filled with roasted walnuts, salted caramel, and pineapple then enrobed in a tangy cream cheese frosting
- 250 Grams (2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 250 Grams (1 1/4 cup) Brown Sugar
- 6oz (3/4 Cup) Vegetable Oil
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 ⅔ Cups Shredded Carrots (3–4 Large Carrots)
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Crushed Pineapple, drained
- 4oz(1/2 Cup) Chopped Toasted Pecans/ Walnuts (pre-toast them in the oven for 7-10 minutes)
- 12oz Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 8oz (1 Cup) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 360 Grams (3 Cups) Confectioners/ Powdered Sugar
- 2oz Buttermilk Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract/ Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Heavy Cream
- Pinch of Salt
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Chopped Toasted Pecans/ Walnuts (pre-toast them in the oven for 10 minutes & cool completely)
- 4oz (1/2 Cup )Homemade Salted Caramel or store-bought salted caramel
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease an 18 X 13-inch baking sheet (a standard cookie sheet). Then line the baking sheet with parchment and grease the parchment.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and salt together in large bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment add the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla together until mixture is smooth. Fold in the carrots and pineapple. Gently fold in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth so even. Bake until center of cake is firm to touch, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Then invert cake peeling off the parchment paper. Let cake cool completely, make frosting now.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add in butter and beat for another minute. Add powdered sugar, buttermilk powder, vanilla bean paste, heavy cream, and salt. Beat on low at first then once powdered sugar is combined beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Using a sharp serrated knife, cut cake in half crosswise and then lengthwise to make 4 equal rectangles, about 6 by 8 inches each.
- Place the first piece of cake on a cake board. Brush on a thin even layer of salted caramel. Place 1/2 cup of frosting on layer spreading evenly then repeat until you end with the last cake on top. Use remaining frosting to frost the cake. Drizzle salted caramel on top and place toasted pecans on and around the cake. Store in fridge.
Keywords: layer cake recipe, cream cheese frosting recipe, carrot and pineapple cake