Easy Brown Butter Pumpkin Cake Recipe is filled with Dulce de Leche and a Brown Butter Frosting, you will love this Easy Pumpkin Layer Cake! Step-by-step photos teach you how to bake this cake recipe.
- 4oz (1/2 Cup/ 1 Stick) Browned Butter, at room temperature (check out my post on how to brown butter)
- 150 Grams (3/4 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 100 Grams (1/2 Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 15oz Pumpkin Puree
- 225 Grams (2 Cups minus 2 Tablespoons) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4oz (1/2 Cup/1 Stick) Browned Butter, at room temperature
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 240 Grams (2 Cups) Confectioners Sugar / Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 6oz of Dulce de Leche
- Pumpkin Pie Spice or Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds (Optional)
- Prior to making the cake brown some butter, 10oz to be exact. Then let cool to room temperature. You can expedite the process by putting the butter in the fridge/ freezer after browning. Check out my post on how to brown butter, you will need to brown 10oz even though the recipe only calls for 8oz because when butter browns some of the liquid evaporates.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease two deep 8-inch cake pans, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed or large bowl with a handheld electric mixer beat the browned butter with both sugars. Beat on medium speed for 4-6 minutes, until very light and fluffy. At first, the butter and sugar will stay separate but just keep mixing for the full time.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time then the vanilla extract. Add pumpkin puree ad mix until fully combined, if the mixture looks a bit curdled at this point don't worry.
- In a separate bowl sift together the all-purpose flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a spatula gently mix dry ingredients into the wet mixture, until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared cake pans and bake for 34-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean with no wet batter or when you gently touch the middle of the cake it bounces back immediately. Let cool on a wire rack until completely cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment or large bowl with a handheld electric mixer beat the browned butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream- beat on low until powdered sugar is incorporated then scrape the sides of the bowl down. Then mix the frosting for another 4-5 minutes on medium speed.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread dulce de leche on top of the first layer. Place the second cake layer on top, I like to place the bottom side up so you have a really straight top cake.
- Spread frosting on top and sides to fully cover the cake. Sprinkle pumpkin pie spice or decorate with pumpkin spiced pumpkin seeds on edge of cake for decor. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: fall layer cake recipe, brown butter pumpkin dessert recipes, pumpkin layer cake, pumpkin cake recipe