A delicate buttery cookie is filled with a simple buttercream and either raspberry or strawberry jam. These British biscuits are perfect for an afternoon treat. Viennese Whirls literally melt in your mouth, be prepared to fall in love with this British cookie!
- 8oz (1 Cup) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 45 Grams (1/4 Scant Cup) Powdered Sugar/ Icing Sugar
- 188 Grams (1 1/2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour/Plain Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- 2.5oz Butter (5 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter
- 150 Grams (3/4 Cup) Powdered Sugar/ Icing Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Tiny Pinch of Salt
- 2oz-3oz (1/4 Cup ish) Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or large bowl with a handheld mixer beat the butter until fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add powdered sugar and beat for another 2-4 minutes until lighter in color and very soft and fluffy. Gently fold in flour and cornstarch.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip pipe two-inch circles of dough, start with the outside of the circle and make your way into the center. If you mess up just scrape the dough up and back into the pastry bag. Make sure to give plenty of room between cookies, then place the tray in the fridge while you preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Bake Viennese Whirls for 12-15 minutes or until just lightly browned on the sides. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 5-10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack. They are very delicate cookies so be careful. Line cookies up so that they have a matching partner cookie.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or large bowl with a handheld mixer beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat until fully combined, 1-2 minutes. The mixture will be thick.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a medium/ small piping hole or use a knife with a very delicate hand, pipe/spread a little smear of buttercream on every other cookie. Then place 1/2 teaspoon-ish of jam on the other cookies then gently press them together. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, if you live in a warm environment store cookies in the fridge and let sit out for 10 minutes before enjoying.
Keywords: Viennese Whirls recipe, how to make Viennese Whirls, the best Viennese Whirls