Caramel Apple Cake is a moist apple cake filled with apple chunks and brown sugar caramel that is baked with lots of brown sugar caramel apple slices. This cake will not disappoint any of your friends and family. The perfect cake recipe for your next party!
- Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce or Storebought
- 4 medium size Granny Smith apples
- 188 grams (1 1/2 cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) Granulated Sugar
- 4oz (1/2 Cup/ 1 stick) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4oz (1/2 cup) Salted Caramel- homemade or storebought + more for serving/ drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 10 inch round cake pan at least 2 1/2 inches deep.
- Peel and chop 4 medium-sized Granny Smith apples. Cut 2 apples into 1/2 inch slices and 2 into 1/4 inch slices. In a heavy bottomed medium saucepan cook the salted caramel and the 1/2 inch apple slices for 4 minutes over low/ medium heat. Add in the remaining apple slice and stir until apples are evenly coated. Pour into the prepared pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs and sugars for 3 minutes on medium speed, until very light. Add in the melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Slowly fold in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter on top of sliced apples in the cake pan. Drizzle salted caramel on top of the cake batter and use a knife to swirl it throughout. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack for 20 minutes then place a large serving plate on the top of cake pan and flip cake. Drizzle reaming caramel sauce on top if you want and serve with ice cream.
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated
Keywords: upside down apple cake, caramel apple upside down cake, salted caramel apple cake