Thicky, Chewy, Chocolatey and a Crinkly & Shiny Top these brownies encompass everything I want in a brownie. Easily made ahead and doubled to serve a crowd these thick and chewy brownies are perfect I even served them at my sister’s wedding at The Ritz Carlton!
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Water
- 1oz (2 Tbsp) Unsalted Butter
- 250 Grams(1 1/4 cups) Granulated Sugar
- 90 Grams (3/4 cups) Bensdorp Dutch Cocoa Powder
- 3oz (scant 1/3 cup) Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg Yolk and 1 Large Egg, at room temp.
- 1/8 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- 60 Grams (scant 1/2 cup) All- Purpose Flour
- 4oz Chocolate (chips, chunks, or bars chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C and line a 9X9 or 8X8 square pan with foil and grease heavily.
- In a large pot add the water, butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until it is all combined together, the mixture will look weird and not liquidy enough, that is fine. Then add the oil and vanilla extract. Cook on low an additional minute and mix to combine everything.
- Take off of heat, let sit for 5 minutes then add the egg and egg yolk. Whisk to combine.
- Add the baking soda, salt, cornstarch and mix to combine. Gently add the flour by using a spatula to fold in until just combined, just before there are no flour streaks add your chocolate chunks/ chips. Do not over mix, this will affect the end product.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 25-35 minutes. Everyone’s oven is different, for me, the brownies always bake within 29-31 minutes, but I would start checking at 25 minutes for your oven. Don’t overbake the brownies. You want a toothpick in the center to come out with moist crumbs, not completely dry. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 4 days.
- Doubling the recipe- I have done it a couple of times in a 9X13 inch pan, I can’t remember the exact oven time. I would start checking the brownies at 31 minutes and gauge how much longer- 5 more minutes..etc. I will update when I make them double again.
- Olive Oil- I have made this recipe with olive oil instead of vegetable oil, while not economical I was in a pinch and it worked beautifully!
Keywords: chewy brownies with cocoa powder, best homemade brownie recipe, best chewy brownie recipe