Delicious vanilla cake is poked and filled with an easy homemade strawberry sauce then topped with a generous amount of fresh whipped cream. The perfect cake to make the night before serving, this strawberry poke cake is a favorite!!
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Unsalted Butter, at room temp.
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 132 Grams (2/3 Cups) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 141 Grams (1 1/4 Cup) Cake Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 40z (1/2 Cup) Buttermilk
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2lb (8oz) Fresh Strawberries, hulled and thickly sliced
- 50 Grams (1/4 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 1 Medium Lemon
- Juice of 1 Medium Lemon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- Whipped Cream
- Fresh Strabwerries for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease an 8-inch cake pan.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer with a paddle attachment or large bowl add the granulated sugar, softened butter, and vegetable oil mix for 3 to 4 minutes -- until very late and fluffy.
- While that is mixing in a medium bowl with together the cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a small bowl combine the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- When the butter mixture is ready add one egg at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, using a spatula to gently combine. Add half of the milk mixture, gently stir until combined. Add another third of the dry ingredients Then the final milk, ending with the last third of dry ingredients. Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 21 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet cake batter. While the cake is baking make the strawberry sauce. When cake is baked set aside to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke lots of holes throughout the cake.
- In a medium pot add the strawberries, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Cook over low to medium heat for 10 minutes, once a mixture starts to get hot and a slight boil use a potato masher to mash the strawberries down.
- In a small bowl mix together the corn starch and lemon juice to create a slurry with no lumps. Add the slurry to the strawberry sauce and cook over low to medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, the mixture should thicken up, keep in mind it will thicken more as it cools. Set aside while cake finishes baking/ cooling.
- Pour strawberry sauce on top of cake using an offset spatula to help push the sauce into the holes (this is a thicker sauce so there will be some strabwerry chunks on top of the cake, thats what we want). Let the cake and strawberry sauce cool for 1 hour then transfer to fridge to cool for another hour.
- Top with whipped cream and fresh berries. Best served within 24 hours of making, store leftovers in the fridge.
Keywords: strawberry dessert, cake recipe, poke cake