- 16oz Good Quality Dark Chocolate, I use Callebaut Chocolate Callets
- 14oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 10oz Good Quality Milk Chocolate, I use Callebaut Milk Chocolate Callets
- 1 Teaspoon Vegetable Oil or Coconut Oil (optional but you don't need to temper chocolate if using)
- Good Quality Sea Salt, I use Maldon Sea Salt
- Create your own double boiler by placing a medium/large heatproof bowl on top of a pot, sized so that the bowl sits on top. Add a couple of inches of water to the pot and make sure the bowl does not touch the water. You want the steam of the boiling water to warm the bowl full of chocolate.
- Turn the pot on to medium heat and add the chocolate to the heatproof bowl, do not walk away, babysit the chocolate and keep stirring. Once the chocolate is at about 80% melted carefully take the bowl off of the hot pot and set on the counter, continue to stir the chocolate and the residual heat will continue melting it all.
- When the chocolate is completely melted place the bowl back on the heat and add the sweetened condensed milk and stir together. Once the chocolate and milk are completely combined take off the heat and stir in vanilla.
- If your bowl is large enough you can let the chocolate cool for five minutes then cover in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge. If you used a small, deeper bowl transfer the truffle filling to a wide casserole dish and cover with plastic wrap. Let the chocolate mixture chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Once chilled roll chocolate truffle mixture into small balls, I use a Cookie Scoop 0.5 Tablespoon size for even balls. Scoop the chocolate then roll between your clean hands to form a nice round ball and place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Once all scooped chill in the freezer for 15-30 minutes to harden up.
- Melt the chocolate, if you are using oil you can add the oil to the bowl you are melting the chocolate in. You can use the same method as above to melt or you can microwave at 50% power in 15-second increments and be very careful not to burn it.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Use a fork or this candy dipping set to dip the chilled truffles in the melted chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt place on the prepared baking sheet. Store at cool room temperature for up to 5 days or store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Recipe: The Pioneer Woman
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate truffles recipe, sweet and salty truffles