- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet- Homemade or Store-bought- I prefer Pepperidge Farms, thawed
- 12oz Mild Pork Sausage Meat
- 1 Egg & splash of water
- Optional add: thyme, sage, or onion spices to the sausage meat
- Preheat oven to 400F/205C and line a baking sheet with a Silpat liner or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and water, set aside. https://vimeo.com/496313051
- Place the sausage and the seasoning/s of your choosing in a bowl and mix to combine. Divide the sausage into 3 portions.
- On a floured work surface place puff pastry sheet, (if using Pepperidge Farms it should already be scored into 3.) Cut pastry sheet into thirds then roll the pastry out just a bit (see the picture above). https://vimeo.com/496313034
- Take a chunk of the pork sausage meat and roll it into a snake shape-just under 1/2" thick. Place the sausage on one side of the pastry, not super close to the edge- you are going to fold the other side of the pastry over the sausage meat and enclose it with the bit of pastry next to the sausage. https://vimeo.com/496313012
- Before closing the pastry brush a bit of egg wash on the bottom of the pastry next to the sausage, then fold the pastry over the sausage. Using a fork to press down into the pastry to seal the pastry together.https://vimeo.com/496312990
- Using a knife score the pastry with lots of little lines on top. Cut the sausage rolls about 1 1/2-2" thick. Place them on a baking sheet, making sure to space the sausage rolls evenly on the sheet. Brush with remaining egg wash.https://vimeo.com/496312955
- Bake for 13 minutes then rotate the pan. Bake for another 6-9 minutes- or until the sausage rolls are golden brown. Transfer the sausage rolls to a wire rack right after you take them out of the oven.https://vimeo.com/496633526
- Making Sausage Rolls Ahead of Time- Prepare sausage rolls up to the egg wash before baking. Store covered in the fridge for up to one day. Preheat the oven make a new egg wash, brush it on and bake sausage rolls according to the recipe.
- Freezing Baked Sausage Rolls- Make sure after they are baked you let them cool completely. Then in an airtight container place a layer of parchment paper between the layers of sausage rolls. To reheat the sausage rolls place them on a baking sheet and bake at 400F/205C for about 20 minutes or until they are warmed through.
- Freezing Unbaked Sausage Rolls- Prepare the sausage rolls up to just before the egg wash step, then freeze them on a baking sheet for 4 hours then place them in a Ziploc bag and use when you want! Just add extra 10-ish minutes on to the baking time- but make sure to check frequently as everyone's oven is different!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: English sausage rolls, puff pastry sausage rolls, homemade sausage rolls