Thick and chewy brownies are filled with chunks of chewy salted caramels. These brownies are irresistible and perfect for your after school treat, midnight snack, or party dessert!
- 8-10 Chewy Caramels (Store-bought or I have a step-by-step post to make Homemade)
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Water
- 1oz (2 Tbsp) Unsalted Butter
- 250 Grams(1 1/4 cups) Granulated Sugar
- 90 Grams (Scant Cup) Bensdorp Dutch Cocoa Powder
- 3oz (scant 1/3 cup) Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg Yolk and 1 Large Egg, at room temp.
- 1/8 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- 60 Grams (scant 1/2 cup) All- Purpose Flour
- 4oz Chocolate (chips, chunks, or bars chopped)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and line a 9X9 or 8X8 square pan with foil and grease heavily. Chop the chewy caramels in half and place in the freezer to harden up while you make the brownie batter.
- In a large pot add the water, butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until it is all combined together, the mixture will look weird and not liquidy enough, that is fine. Then add the oil and vanilla extract. Cook on low an additional minute and mix to combine everything.
- Take off of heat, let sit for 5 minutes then add the egg and egg yolk. Whisk to combine.
- Add the baking soda, salt, cornstarch and mix to combine. Gently add the flour by using a spatula to fold in until just combined, just before there are no flour streaks add your chocolate chunks/ chips. Do not over mix, this will affect the end product.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan then place the chewy caramel chunks all over, sprinkle additonal sea salt if desired, then pour remaining batter on top.
- Bake the brwonies 25-35 minutes. Everyone’s oven is different, for me, the brownies always bake within 29-31 minutes, but I would start checking at 25 minutes for your oven. Don't overbake the brownies. You want a toothpick in the center to come out with moist crumbs, not completely dry. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 4 days.
Keywords: chocolate and caramel, caramel brownies, chewy brownies