- 1.5Lbs Small Potatoes, I prefer Yellow Dutch but Red Potatoes or Tri-Colored Potatoes work
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 4-6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3-6 Tablespoons Malt Vinegar, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450F/ 232C. Clean potatoes and add to a large pot and fill with water and a pinch of salt to cover the tops of the potatoes. Place the pot on the stove over medium/ high heat and boil for 10-20 minutes, or until fork-tender or easily pierced with a fork.
- Carefully drain the potatoes and transfer them to a metal baking sheet. Use a heavy glass or mug to gently press the potato down to "smash it." You want the skin to split open to expose some of the insides of the potato but you don't want to smash it so much so that the potato falls apart. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake the potatoes when the oven has properly preheated. Bake for 15 minutes then carefully remove from the oven and use a spatula to gently flip the smashed potatoes bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the level of crispiness is reached. Larger potatoes will take closer to 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then generously sprinkle with malt vinegar. Potatoes are best enjoyed right away but you could reheat leftovers in a frying pan for a few minutes.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: salt and vinegar potatoes, vinegar smashed potatoes