Thick and chewy brownies made with cocoa powder are filled with chopped up Rolo candies, making the perfect caramel chewy brownie. Quick and easy this recipe is made in one pot and under 10 minutes, baked for less than 30! An easy recipe to double, these Rolo brownies are perfect for your next dessert table or bake sale!
- 4-6oz Chopped Rolos
- 2oz Water
- 1oz (2 Tbsp) Unsalted Butter
- 250 Grams(1 1/4 cups) Granulated Sugar
- 90 Grams (3/4 cups) Bensdorp Dutch Cocoa Powder
- 3oz (scant 1/3 cup) Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg Yolk and 1 Large Egg, at room temp.
- 1/8 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- 60 Grams (scant 1/2 cup) All-Purpose Flour
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a 9X9 or 8X8 square pan with foil and grease heavily. Chop the Rolos in half and place them in the freezer while you make the batter.
- In a large pot add the water, butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until it is all combined together, the mixture will look weird and not liquidy enough, that is fine. Then add the oil and vanilla extract. Cook on low an additional minute and mix to combine everything.
- Take off of heat, let sit for 5 minutes then add the egg and egg yolk. Whisk to combine.
- Add the baking soda, salt, cornstarch and mix to combine. Gently add the flour by using a spatula to fold in until just combined. Gently fold in the frozen chopped Rolos. Do not over mix, this will affect the end product.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 25-35 minutes. I usually place a couple extra Rolos on top of the batter. Everyone’s oven is different, for me, the brownies always bake within 29-31 minutes, but I would start checking at 25 minutes for your oven. Don't overbake the brownies. You want a toothpick in the center to come out with moist crumbs, not completely dry. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 4 days.
- Doubling the recipe- I have done it a couple of times in a 9X13 inch pan, I can't remember the exact oven time. I would start checking the brownies at 31 minutes and gauge how much longer- 5 more minutes..etc. I will update when I make them double again.
- Olive Oil- I have made this recipe with olive oil instead of vegetable oil, while not economical I was in a pinch and it worked beautifully!
Keywords: rolo brownie recipes, candy brownies, caramel and chocolate brownies