- 3lb-4lb Bone-In Ribeye Roast, two bone piece
- 3oz Softened Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt, or to taste
- 2 Teaspoons Freshly Cracked Pepper, or to taste
- Take the meat out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for a few hours, you do not want to cook a cold piece of meat. Take the butter out of the fridge at the same time as you'll want softened butter to spread over the meat.
- Preheat the oven to 475F/ 246C and in a small bowl mix together the butter and garlic. Using paper towels dry the beef of any excess moisture.
- Place the beef fat cap side up on a wire rack on a sheet pan. Using clean hands rub the beef with the butter garlic mixture. Then sprinkle the salt and pepper all over and use your hands to press it into the butter.
- Place the pan in the oven on the top rack and roast the beef for 20 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 325F/163C and roast for an additional 65-75 minutes. I cooked mine for 16 minutes per pound, so a 3.75lb roast X16 minutes = 60 minutes, this is for rare-medium rare. I use my instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature, keep in mind you want the temperature to be less in the oven as when you let the meat rest the temperature will rise as the meat continues to cook from the residual heat, it will cook around another 5-10 degrees or so while resting. For a rare roast cook until internal temperature reaches around 110F/43C, for medium-rare 115F-120/46-49C, for medium 120-125F/49-52C for well-done 130-135F/54-57C. Keep in mind the sides will be more well-done than the center so you will have a range of serving slices.
- When cooked to your liking remove the beef from the oven and carefully place it on a plate and cover with foil and let it sit for 20 minutes to rest. Slice against the grain.
- You'll want to get the beef in the oven around 1 Hour 45 minutes or so before you plan on serving, this includes cooking and resting time. So plan accordingly with taking the meat out of the fridge to come to room temperature.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 80 Minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef ribeye roast recipe, how to cook a ribeye roast, how to cook a bone in ribeye roast