- 1- 9-inch Pie Crust, store-bought or homemade
- 10oz (2 1/2 Cups) Pecans
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Butter
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8oz (1 Cup) Light Corn Syrup
- 150 grams (3/4 Cup) Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Molasses
- Egg, for egg wash
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Place pecans on a baking sheet and shake to spread out, bake for ten minutes until just toasted. Set aside to cool.
- While pecans are baking brown the butter. In a large pot over low-medium heat melt the butter and stir until the butter starts to produce golden brown flecks and you smell a nutty aroma*. Immediately take the pot off of the heat, the butter can turn from brown butter to burnt butter very quickly! Pour into a heatproof bowl and set aside.
- Adjust the oven temperature to 415F/213 and line the pie dish with the pie dough and design the crust to your preference. Crinkle up a pie sized piece of parchment paper then uncrinkle and place over pie dough and fill with pie weights or dried rice or beans. Bake for 15 minutes uncovered then carefully remove the pie weights and parchment then bake for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside while you prepare the filling. Adjust the oven to 350F/180C.
- In a large bowl whisk filling together eggs, vanilla, corn syrup, brown sugar, salt, molasses, and brown butter. Make sure to whisk until there is no trace of egg left behind. Reserve about 40 full pecan halves and roughly chop the rest of the pecans. Add the chopped pecans to the filling mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour filling into the par-baked crust and arrange remaining pecans on top. Gently press the pecans into the filling to kind of get them wet. Crack an egg into a bowl and whisk together then use a pastry brush to brush all of the exposed pie crust to create a golden brown sheen when baked. Bake for 30 minutes or until the center of the pie registers to 185F/ 85C, I use my Thermapen MK4 and if you gently press the top of the pie it should bounce back. I personally like to bake my pies with a pie shield for the first 15-20 minutes to prevent the crust from over browning. Let cool for at least two hours before slicing. Serve with homemade whipped cream or ice cream. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Check out this post teaching you how to brown butter
Freezing pecan pie. Let the pie cool completely then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap twice, then in aluminum foil. The three layers help prevent freezer burn.
Reheating frozen pecan pie. Take the frozen pie out of the freezer and let thaw in the refrigerator overnight or bake unwrapped of the plastic wrap but recovered with foil at 300F/148C for 20ish minutes
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brown butter pecan pie, how to make pecan pie, easy pecan pie recipe