- 5 Large Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- 3 Tablespoon Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, cold and diced
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Bean Paste or Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat add the whole milk. Let cook for a couple of minutes to warm it up - do not boil the milk.
- While milk is warming, in a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolks, corn starch, salt, and sugar. Whisk for two minutes, the mixture should be much lighter in color.
- Once the milk mixture is warmed slowly add a little bit to the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Then add all of the milk slowly and whisk to combine.
- Add mixture back to the pot and cook over low-medium heat for another couple of minutes, whisking constantly. The mixture will thicken up. You want it quite thick, the mixture will "burp" bubbles will pop on the surface- this shows it is done.
- Take off the heat and immediately add the cold butter and vanilla bean paste or extract. Then pour into an air-tight container, place plastic wrap on top and push directly on top this helps prevent a thick skin from forming. Let chill in the fridge for at least two hours or up to three days. Rewhisk the pastry cream before serving.
If you want a thicker/ sturdier pastry cream use the 4 tablespoons of cornstarch/ cornflour.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: pastry cream, cream, creme patisserie