Learn how to make meringue cookies. This recipe includes step-by-step photos so you know you are on the right track! Crunchy, sweet, and light as air you will love these meringues!
- 5 Large Egg Whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 250 Grams (1 1/4 Cup) Granulated Sugar/ Castor Sugar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner. Preheat oven to 225F/ 107C.
- In a large bowl with a handheld electrical whisk or the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add the egg whites. Whisk on medium speed for a minute or two until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt then mix again for another 30 seconds.
- Add the vanilla extract then increase the speed to medium-high. Gradually add one tablespoon of sugar at a time. Take your time adding the sugar then increase the speed and let it whisk for 5-10 minutes- until stiff peaks form. The mixture should be very glossy and if you rub some of the batters between your fingertips you won't feel the sugar granules.
- Using a large piping bag fitted with your favorite tip or just left open and round pipe the meringue batter. Bake in the oven for 1 Hour- 2 Hours, depending on what size you pipe the meringues. If you gently knock on the meringues they should feel hard, then they are done.
- Let the meringues cool in the turned off oven overnight or at least 8 hours. Store in an air-tight container.
Keywords: meringue cookies, cookies, meringues