Spicy, Dense, and Chewy these Gingerbread brownies are chock a block full of flavor then topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting. These Gingerbread Brownies with a Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect addition to your Christmas Cookie plate! Step-by-step photos help you bake this Christmas treat!
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Unsalted Butter
- 100 Grams (1/2 Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Larrge Egg, at room temperature
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Molasses
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 156 Grams (1 1/4 Cups) All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Full- Fat Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2oz (4 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 180-24o Grams (1 1/2-2 Cups) Confectioners/ Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and spray a 9-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter every nook and cranny, set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat cook the butter. We are browning the butter* here, which creates depth. Cook slowly, mixing constatnly, the butter will begin to brown after about a couple of minutes, it will smell nutty. Do not leave it alone as it will burn easily. When the butter has browned and is golden and smells nutty take it off the heat. Set aside to cool.
- After 10 minutes or so, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attatchment or a large bowl with handheld electrical mixer combine the sugar, egg, molasses, and vanilla. Whisk in the browned butter.
- Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet batter until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 23-25 minutes. Allow to cool completely then start making the frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer or large bowl with handheld electrical whisk combine cream cheese and butter, mixing until evenly combined. Add in the heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Mix for 3-4 minutes.
- Spread on cooled bars and enjoy. Store lefrovers at room temperature or in the fridge.
*Check out my whole page dedicated to browning butter
Keywords: cream cheese frosting, chewy gingerbread bars, gingerbread blondies