Creamy, tart, full of citrus flavor this french lemon cream tart is for citrus lovers. Sweet shortcrust pastry is filled with sharp citrus cream. The perfect summer dessert.
- 1 Tart Shell, Baked (Sweet Shortcrust Pastry)
- 200 Grams (1 Cup) Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Zest, roughly 3 medium lemons
- 4 Large Eggs
- 6oz (3/4 Cup) Lemon Juice, fresh squeezed, roughly 5 medium lemons
- 10.5oz (1 Cup + 5 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter, cut into 20 pieces
- Place granulated sugar in a large bowl and use your hands to rub in the lemon zest. Next, add the large eggs and fresh lemon juice. Whisk everything to combine then add to a large heavy-bottomed pot.
- Over low to medium heat start to cook the filling. Do not turn the heat up, you risk burning the filling. Continue whisking constantly until the mixture reaches 180F/82C, at this point the mixture will be much thicker. I suggest using an instant-read thermometer to ensure the filling does not burn. When the mixture has reached the correct temperature take it off the heat and pour over a sieve into a clean bowl. Let the mixture cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour cooled filling into the bowl of a food processor. Turn the food processor on and slowly add the butter, 5 pieces at a time. Making sure to let the mixture process for a minute in between adding more butter. When all the butter is added let the mixture run for an additional 3-5 minutes, to create that luscious creamy texture.
- Pour the filling in a clean container and press a piece of plastic on top to prevent a skin from forming. Let the lemon cream filling chill for at least 4 hours or up to two days.
- When ready to fill the tart with the cream, take the cream out of the fridge and whisk the cream before adding to the tart shell. Use an offset spatula to create an even layer of lemon cream. Place a piece of plastic wrap on top, again, to prevent a skin, and chill for 30 minutes or up to 5 hours, no longer for best results.
- Top with berries and if you want you can slightly warm some apricot or orange jam and brush it on top of the berries to create a gorgeous glisten. Use a pastry brush to paint on all berries. Store in the fridge.
Keywords: lemon tart, french lemon cream tart, lemon cream