These English Roast Potatoes have the most delicious golden crunchy exterior with a creamy potato inside. These roasties are made by parboiling the potatoes then roasted in the oven in a shallow pan with plenty of oil. I dare you to try to eat just one! Step-by-step photos teach you how to make these British roasted potatoes.
- 2.5lb Potatoes, Russet or Yukon Gold
- 2oz-4oz (1/4-1/2 Cup) Oil, or enough to cover the bottom of roasting pan (Need a high smoking point, I use Avocado Oil)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- Boil a kettle to fill a large heavy-bottomed pot with water to boil the potatoes in. You can also just add water to the pot and boil it that way but using a kettle is much quicker. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the water.
- Peel and chop the potatoes. See the pictures in the post to see how I chop the potatoes. First, chop the two ends of the potatoes off, slice the large middle section in half lengthwise then chop those in halves depending on the size of the potato. Ideally, you are looking for a piece of potato that is two-three bites worth, nothing larger.
- Once the water is boiling add the potatoes and parboil the potatoes for 10 minutes. Turn the oven on to 425F to preheat while your potatoes are cooking and place a large roasting pan with 2oz of oil inside the oven to warm up while the oven preheats.
- Once the potatoes have parboiled take them out and drain in a colander. Shake the potatoes in the colander to rough them up for 30 seconds to a minute (see the photo in post). If your oven is still preheating just let the potatoes rest until your oven has reached the proper temperature.
- Carefully take the hot pan out of the oven and add the potatoes, place in a single layer, giving them plenty of room to not touch each other, be careful not to splash the oil. Roast for 20 minutes then carefully flip the potatoes, let cook another 15 then rotate again, let cook another 15 and rotate again, after another 15 minutes the potatoes should be quite golden brown and have thick roasted skin, you may cook longer if desired. Let the potatoes cool for five minutes before serving. Roast potatoes are best eaten right away but leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If cooking the potatoes with many other things in the oven prepare to cook the potatoes for longer.
If they aren't browning dark enough you can increase oven temperature to 450F.
Reheat the potatoes in the oven at 350F/180C or re-crisp them in a skillet over medium heat.
Keywords: roasted potatoes, oven roasted potatoes, british roast potatoes, english style roasted potatoes