Learn how to make this traditional British dessert, Sticky Toffee Pudding. Loved by everyone who tries, this recipe is surprisingly easy. Made with a secret ingredient this cake is full of flavor, serve it with heavy pouring cream, custard or ice cream!
- 15 Pitted Dates
- 10oz water
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 3oz (6 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temp.
- 150 Grams (3/4 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 125 Grams (1 Cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
Sticky Toffee Sauce
- 6oz (3/4 Cup) Unsalted Butter
- 122 Grams (Heaping 1/2 Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
- In a large bowl add the dates and hot water, let sit for 10 minutes. Prepare an 8-inch cake pan and grease the whole pan, preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- In a food processor add the dates and liquid add baking soda and pulse 8-10 times until the mixture has broken down mostly- there will still be chunks that's what you want.
- In a large bowl or bowl of your stand mixer add the softened butter and sugar, mix on medium speed for 2-4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mixing to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, just until no large flour streaks remain. Add the date mixture with all the liquid. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the cake is done. (Lightly press the cake in the center if it bounces back the cake is done) Let the cake cool on a wire rack.
Sticky Toffee Sauce
- In a large pot add the butter and brown sugar. Whisk constantly over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Add one tablespoon of cream at a time. Whisk each tablespoon of cream until its fully combined then add the next. You can either pour the sauce on top of the whole cake or serve it on the side. Serve the cake with heavy pouring cream, ice cream or Bird's custard.
Keywords: the best sticky toffee pudding recipe, how to make sticky toffee pudding, english sticky toffee pudding