This classic beef stew recipe has step-by-step photos to teach you how to cook this heartwarming dinner. This hearty dutch oven beef stew starts by searing the beef for extra delicious flavor then the majority of the cooking is done in the oven. Full of tender meat, potatoes, carrots, and the best, flavorful almost gravy-like broth!
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3lbs Beef Stew Meat
- 1 Teaspoon Each of Salt and Pepper
- 2 Medium Yellow or Brown Onions
- 6 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 16oz (2 Cups) Dry Red Wine
- 24oz (3 Cups) Broth, I prefer low-sodium Beef or Chicken
- 80z (1 Cup) Water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Large Carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 ss="nutrifox-quantity">1/2 lbs Yellow Potatoes, cut into 1/2" chunks or baby potatoes, cut in half
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300F/148C and place a large Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-high heat. When warm add one tablespoon of oil.
- Season the stew meat with salt and pepper then add 1/3 of the meat into the hot pan to sear the beef, let it cook for a couple of minutes then flip, you want a nice dark brown sear on all edges. Then transfer the cooked meat to a large bowl. Repeat this step two more times until all of the meat has browned. You need to cook the meat in batches because if the pan is too crowded the beef will not brown properly.
- Once you remove the final beef add the onion to the pot and reduce heat to medium and let the onions cook for 5 minutes or so to soften. I like to use the back of my spatula to scratch the bottom of the pan and help move around some of those dark spots from the beef, these are super flavorful!! Once the onions have softened add the garlic and cook for a minute, stirring once. Now add the tomato paste and cook for a minute or two, making sure to mix everything together well.
- Add the beef and its juices back to the pot then sprinkle the flour on top of the beef, mix the beef and flour together with the onion mixture and let cook for 2-3 minutes, until no flour streaks remain.
- Now add the wine and again use your spatula to scrape up any dark bits on the bottom of the pan, this is called deglazing the pan. Finally add the stock, water, and bay leaves. Mix to fully combine then place the lid on and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
- After two hours add the chopped potatoes and carrots and mix to fully immerse them in. Return the Dutch oven to the oven and cook for about another hour, the potatoes should be fork-tender and the meat tender too.
- Let cool for at least ten minutes and serve or let cool completely and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: easy beef stew recipe, how to make beef stew, best beef stew recipe