- 1 - 15.25oz Box of Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1-3.9oz Box of Dry Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder, I prefer Dutch Cocoa Powder
- 4 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 6oz (3/4 Cup) Vegetable Oil
- 6oz (3/4 Cup) Sour Cream
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Buttermilk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Hot Coffee
- 85 grams (1/2 Cups) Mini Chocolate Chips, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C and spray two 8-inch or 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick baking spray, my preferences are Bakers Joy or Pam for Baking. Set the pans aside.
- In a large bowl mix together everything except the hot coffee and mini chocolate chips. Mix until fully combined, you want to make sure you mix well enough that there are no traces of egg left behind but you don't want to overmix the batter. Then mix in the hot coffee, it will thin the batter out then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the cake batter evenly between the two prepared pans and bake. For 8-inch cakes I found they baked in the 25-30 minute mark as opposed to the longer times the cake box suggested. Let the cake pans cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before inverting the cake out directly onto a wire rack to cool completely. Then frost with your favorite frosting.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Desser
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to doctor up a chocolate cake mix, how to make a chocolate cake mix better