- 16oz (457 Grams/ 3 cups+ 1/2 heaping cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 4oz (1 Stick/ 8 Tablespoons) Salted Butter
- 4oz (120 Grams/ 1/2 heaping cup) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs
- 8oz (1 Cup) Whole Milk
- 6oz Cranberries, Fresh or Frozen
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Orange Zest
Optional Orange Glaze
- 1 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Fresh Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 410F/210C. Line a baking tray with a liner or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and sugar. Then, add your cold butter. Mix until the butter is just combined—as in, the mixture still looks pretty dry but there are not large chunks of butter.
- Set a medium bowl on a scale, add your eggs, and add enough milk to make 10oz. You may not need all 10oz of liquid for the batter. Every batter is a little different.
- Add half of the milk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing gently. Continue to add until you have a cohesive scone batter; you want your scone batter to be pretty dry so it holds its shape. Add in the orange zest and cranberries. Then, on a large clean surface or large liner, sprinkle some flour and add your scone batter. Knead a few times, then roll out to about 1 inch thick. Use a 2.5-inch cutter to make your individual scones. Combine scraps to form another 1-inch piece to cut more 2.5 inch scones out. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Place 8 scones to a baking tray, and brush the tops with an egg wash (I just use the leftover milk and egg mixture). Store the scones in the fridge until the oven is heated. Bake for 9 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for another 8-10 minutes. You want golden brown scones, so keep an eye on the oven.
- Let them cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Best served the day of; store in an air-tight container.
- To make glaze whisk together powdered sugar and orange juice then use a spoon to drizzle on top of the cooled scones.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: christmas scones, orange cranberry scones