This smooth and creamy coffee creme brûlée uses espresso powder for the perfect coffee punch. Step-by-step photos help you make this Coffee Creme Brulee. This recipe is an easy, make-ahead dessert that will impress your guests.
- 20oz (2.5 Cups) Heavy Cream
- 1 Vanilla beans– pods cut in half and scraped or 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 Teaspoons Espresso Powder
- 100 Grams (1/2 Cup) Granulated Sugar, divided into two
- 6 Large Egg Yolks
- Fresh Berries
- 6 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar for Brulee
- Kitchen Torch
- Cut your vanilla beans open in half lengthwise then use the non-sharp side of a knife to scrape out the vanilla beans. If using vanilla bean paste skip this step.
- In a thick bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat cook the heavy cream, vanilla beans or paste, espresso powder, and 50 grams (1/4 cup) of the sugar. Stirring constantly, cook until mixture comes to a boil. Then take off heat and place lid on and let steep for 10 minutes.
- In a large roasting pan place 4 (7oz) ramekins inside and put the kettle on to boil and preheat oven to 325F/163C.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or large bowl with a whisk beat the remaining 50 grams (1/4 cup) and egg yolks until fully combined and much lighter in color, a pale yellow.
- Remove vanilla bean pods from the cream mixture and slowly pour the cream into the egg mixture with the whisk attachment on at the lowest speed. Take your time doing this so the eggs do not curdle. Once completely mixed pour the mixture through a sieve to prevent any lumps. Then evenly pour into ramekins. Pour boiling water from the kettle in the roasting pan, pour enough to come up halfway of the ramekins- being careful not to spill.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, you want the center of the creme brulee’s to be set but a little bit jiggle, around 170F/71C degrees, I use an instant-read thermometer for this my Thermapen MK4. When ready take out of the oven and place the roasting pan on a wire rack. After five minutes remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and let cool for 1 hour on wire rack. Wrap ramekins in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight to chill before serving.
- When ready to serve sprinkle 1.5 tablespoons of sugar on top of each creme brulee swirling the ramekin so the sugar is spread evenly and using a kitchen torch, torch the top of the creme brulee until the sugar has caramelized and hardened. Serve immediately with berries if desired.
Keywords: espresso creme brulee recipe, how to make coffee creme brulee,