- 200 grams (1 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Butter, melted
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Whole Milk, at room temperature
- 1 Large Egg, at room temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 125 grams (1 Cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 45 grams (1/2 Cup) Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Hot Coffee
- 3 Tablespoons Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder
- 66 grams (1/3 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 66 grams (1/3 Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 10oz (1/4 Cup) Boiling Hot Water
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and grease an 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl with a whisk combine the sugar, melted butter, whole milk, egg, and vanilla extract mix until fully combined.
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over the wet ingredient and sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Slowly add in the dry ingredients, and mix until fully incorporated. Add in the hot coffee and mix until evenly combined. The cake batter will be very thin. Pour into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Evenly sprinkle on top of the cake batter. Pour the hot water all over on top. You don't want any dry spots of sugar mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, the cake will still be quite jiggly but the edges of the cake will have started to pull away from the sides and the top of the cake will have started to crack. Keep in mind the 8-inch will take a bit longer to cook than a 9-inch cake.
- Set aside for five minutes then enjoy with ice cream. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate lava pudding cake, chocolate lava cake, chocolate self saucing pudding