Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 90 grams (3/4 Cup) Dutch-process Cocoa Powder
- 40z (1/2 Cup) Hot Strong Coffee
- 40z (1/2 Cup) Salted Butter, cold
- 250 grams (2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 400 grams (2 Cups) Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Vegetable Oil
- 40z (1/2 Cup) Buttermilk
- 40z (1/2 Cup) Sour Cream
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 8oz (1 Cup) Heavy Whipping Cream/ Double Cream
- 175 grams (1 Cup) Dark or Semi-Sweet Chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Peppermint Extract, double if you want a strong peppermint flavor
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and grease a 10-cup Bundt pan heavily, make sure you get every nook and cranny so the cake will release from the pan properly.
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat cook together the cocoa powder, hot coffee, and butter. Stir frequently and let cook until all of the butter is melted. Remove from the heat and let cool for ten minutes or so.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Once the cocoa mixture is cooled add the vegetable oil, sour cream, buttermilk, peppermint extract and vanilla. Mix to combine once fully combined add the eggs and whisk to combine.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until fully combined, make sure there are no flour streaks left behind but don't over mix the batter or you risk a tough cake.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 38-42 minutes, if you stick a knife in the center of the cake it should come out with no wet batter, moist crumbs are okay. Let cool for 20 minutes on a wire rack then place a wire rack on top of the cake and flip over to invert the cake onto the wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan add the cream and cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes to warm it, you don't want to boil it though.
- In a large bowl add the chocolate, peppermint extract, and corn syrup then pour the warmed cream directly over it. Let it sit untouched for 5 minutes then using a whisk mix well together until a shiny homogenous chocolate ganache is formed. Store in the freezer for 20 minutes, I stir every 5 minutes or so, to chill the ganache and thicken it a bit.
- When ready to use I like to pour it into a measuring cup with a pour spout to easily drizzle it on the cake. Store the cake in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you are in a very warm environment I would store it in the fridge but let sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: peppermint chocolate cake, chocolate peppermint bundt cake