- 187.5 grams (1 1/2 Cups) All Purpose Flour
- 50 grams (1/2 Cup) Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
- 50 grams (1/4 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 16oz (2 Cups) Buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 170 grams (1 Cup) Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet, milk or dark)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a spatula to gently fold in, when you are about halfway mixed add the chocolate chips. Gently mix until majority of the flour streaks have gone, a few are fine, but you don't want to overmix and over develop the gluten. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as well. Let pancake batter rest for at least 10 minutes, no less.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet over low-medium heat add a slither of butter, honestly too much and you'll burn the pancakes. Using a third cup measuring cup scoop one serving of the pancake batter into the pan. If desired add more chocolate chips to ensure evenness but you must press the chocolate down so its covered. If the chocolate is not covered it will burn and leave dark spots.
- Depending on your pan and the heat your pancakes may cook a little differently, you will start to notice after the first one. Start by timing 1 minute 30 seconds, you should see air bubbles popping on top of the pancake, you want a few bubbles but not the whole pancake, if you wait until the whole pancake has bubbles you'll most likely have burned the bottom of the pancake.
- Using a plastic spatula gently slide it under the pancake, then shimmy it around a bit to get a good place covering the majority of the pancake. Using your wrist, not your whole arm, gently flip the pancake and cook for another minute and 30 seconds. Place pancakes on a wire rack and place in a warmed oven (200F/93C) while you cook the remaining. Serve with warmed syrup.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate pancakes, fluffy pancakes, easy pancake recipe