Soft and moist chocolate cake is baked with Guinness for an irresistible flavor!! Frosted with a Baileys Swiss Meringue Buttercream and filled with a chocolate ganache this cake is perfect all year long but especially for St. Patrick's Day!
- 12.8 Guinness Bottle
- 400 Grams (2 Cups) Granulated Sugar
- 250 Grams (2 Cups) All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 90 Grams (3/4 Cup) Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Vegetable Oil
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Sour Cream
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Whole Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
Chocolate Ganache Filling
- 6oz (3/4 Cup) Heavy Cream
- 6oz Chocolate, finely chopped or callets
- 1 Recipe Baileys Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Chocolate Bar, shaved
Guinness Chocolate Cake
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat simmer the Guinness. Let cook for 4-7 minutes. The Guinness liquid should reduce to 8oz/1 Cup. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease two 8-inch cake pans.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Sift cocoa powder into the dry ingredients. Whisk until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, sour cream, oil, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients. Gently fold dry ingredients until just combined then add the warm Guinness beer, mix until evenly combined.
- Pour into the prepared pans and bake for 28-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes then invert to cool completely.
Chocolate Cream Filling
- In a medium saucepan heat the heavy cream, do not boil. While the cream is heating, place the finely chopped chocolate in a bowl. When the cream has warmed pour on top of chopped chocolate, stir once to make sure all chocolate is covered then let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the chocolate cream mixture until completely combined. Store ganache in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to thicken before assembling the cake.
- Prepare Baileys Frosting.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake board or serving plate and use an angled spatula to spread the chocolate ganche into an even layer. Place the second cake layer, bottom side up, this helps create an even flat top.
- Crumb coat the cake with Baileys frosting and let the cake chill in the freezer for 30 minutes. After cake has chilled use an angled spatula to spread the remaining frosting and hold the angled spatula perpendicular to the cake and go draw lines around the cake to create a design. Sprinkle shaved chocolate on top. Store cake leftovers in the fridge, let sit out for 1 hour before serving fo frosting to soften again.
Keywords: Guinness Chocolate Cake, guinness layer cake, guinness cake baileys frosting