This Chocolate Creme Brulee recipe is delicious, creamy, and the most perfect special occasion dessert. Easily made ahead of time, and absolutely scrumptious your guests will love this creme brulee. Step-by-step photos help you make this delectable French dessert!
- 120z (1 1/2 Cups) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Vanilla Bean Pod cut in half and scraped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Espresso Powder
- 1/3 Cup Dark/ Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 50 Grams (1/4 Cup) Granulated/ Caster Sugar
- 4 Large Egg Yolks, at room temperature
- Kitchen Torch
- 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar (1 1/2 Tablespoons per creme brulee)
- Cut your vanilla bean open in half lengthwise then use the non-sharp side of a knife to scrape out the vanilla beans. In a thick bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat cook the heavy cream, espresso powder, and vanilla beans. Stirring constantly, cook until mixture comes to a slight simmer just before a boil. Then take off heat, add chocolate pieces and place lid on and let steep for 10 minutes.
- In a large roasting pan place 3 (7oz) ramekins inside and put the kettle on to boil and preheat oven to 325F/163C.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or large bowl with a hand held electric whisk beat the sugar and egg yolks until fully combined and much lighter in color, a pale yellow.
- Using a whisk mix the cream mixture ensuring all of the chocolate is fully melted, if not place on the stove for a minute or two. Slowly pour the cream into the egg mixture with the whisk attachment on at the lowest speed. Take your time doing this so the eggs do not curdle.
- Once completely mixed pour the mixture evenly into ramekins. Place the pan on the oven rack and pour boiling water from the kettle in the roasting pan, pour enough to come up halfway of the ramekins.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, you want the center of the creme brulee's to be set but have a little bit jiggle, if you want to use an instant-read thermometer the internal temperatue should be 170F/77C. Take out of the oven and place the roasting pan on a wire rack. After five minutes remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and let cool for 1 hour on wire rack. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- When ready to serve sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each creme brulee swirling the ramekin so the sugar is spread evenly and using a kitchen torch, torch the top of the creme brulee until sugar has caramelized and hardened. Serve immediately with fresh berries if desired.
Total Time includes Chill Time
Keywords: chocolate creme brulee, how to make chocolate creme brulee,