- 14oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 200 grams ( 1 Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Heavy Cream
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Light Corn Syrup
- 6oz ( 12 Tablespoons) Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- Scrunch up a piece of parchment paper then place it inside a 9-inch square pan. Use a piece of butter to heavuly grease the parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large heavy bottom pan add the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, heavy cream, corn syrup, and unsalted butter.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat whisking constantly. You can not walk away from this or you will burn it. Cook the caramel until the mixture registers to 236F/113C to 240F/115C degrees*(see note). This will take about 15- 20 minutes of stirring. (If you use a wider pot it will take a shorter amount of time and a smaller pot will take longer to cook)
- Once cooked add the vanilla bean paste and sea salt and whisk to combine. Pour into prepared pan and let the chewy caramel set for 1 hour. Place in the fridge to set further for an additional 30 minutes.
- Use a a large knife to cut into 1 inch squares or logs. I use these caramel wrappers to store. Place the caramel in the center of one wrapper then roll to cover and twist the ends together, after you make one or two you will get better at wrapping them. If you prefer a saltier caramel then sprinkle sea salt on top of the caramel before rolling in the wrapper. Store in the fridge or freezer.
*I highly suggest using an instant-read thermometer to ensure success my favorite is my Thermapen Mk4
You can cut the recipe in half, use a 9X5 loaf pan to set the caramel.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chewy caramel, caramel recipe, candy recipe