Thick oat crumble cookie bar is filled with a layer of homemade caramel and chocolate. These dessert bars are perfect for your next dessert table!
Crust and Topping
- 145 Grams (Heaping 1 Cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 100 Grams (1 Cup) Old- Fashioned Oats
- 150 Grams (3/4 Cup) Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 6oz (1.5 Sticks) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 7oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3.5oz Brown Sugar
- 2oz Heavy Cream
- 2oz Light Corn Syrup
- 2oz Unsalted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 6oz Chocolate Chips/Chunks
Crust & Crumble
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8X8 square pan with two pieces of foil or one large piece so that the foil overhangs up on top of the sides. Grease the pan evenly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add vanilla and melted butter.
- Press just over half* of the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. While baking prepare caramel filling
- In a large saucepan over low- medium heat add condensed milk, brown sugar, heavy cream, corn syrup, butter and sea salt. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, whisking continuously, the mixture will thicken up and darken, once mixture reaches 246F take it off the heat and set aside.
- Once the crust has baked sprinkle chocolate chips to create an even layer then pour caramel sauce over to create another even layer. Finally, crumble remaining oat mixture on top evenly. Bake for an additional 16-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let bars cool in pan for 1 hour then wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before slicing.
- Slice into 4 rows and then 4 columns for 16 equal size pieces.
*I weighed it out 12oz for top and 8oz for the crumble topping.
Keywords: chocolate caramel recipes, how to make carmelitas recipe, easy carmelitas, dessert bar recipe