How to make a brown butter pie crust, this easy recipe explains how to reach a flaky crust and how to blind bake the crust.
- 14oz (3 1/3 Cups) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 7oz (14 Tablespoons) Cold & Cubed Brown Butter
- 4 Teaspoons Ice Cold Vodka
- 6-10 Teaspoons Ice Cold Water
- In a large bowl combine the all-purpose flour and salt. Then add your cold cubed butter, I like to use a dough blender to incorporate the butter into the flour. You want to mix the butter in until you get pea-sized amounts of butter left.
- Add 4 teaspoons of ice-cold vodka and 6 teaspoons of ice cold water but you may need up to 4 more teaspoons of water. I use a butter knife to cut the liquid in, you want the dough to be moist and just come together. Not wet. Use your hands to press the dough all together.
- Shape into a ball and cut in half, then shape into a disc shape, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 48 hours. If you chill the dough for more than 30 minutes you will need to let it sit out for a bit, before you roll the dough out.
- For a 9-inch pie plate roll your disc into an 11-inch-ish circle, approximately 1/8 inch, roll the pie dough on the rolling pin so it's wrapped around it. Place it in a pie dish and gently press the pie dough into the bottom of the dish, then up the sides and fold the remaining dough (hanging over the edge) over itself and press together to create a finished edge, or use a fork and press flat down on crust for an easy design.
For a pre-baked pie crust
- If you are making a pie like a strawberry pie or banana/chocolate cream pie you want to pre-bake the crust a few hours or a day ahead.
- I prick the dough all over with a fork. Then let the pie dough sit in the freezer for 20 minutes before baking. This helps ensure that your crust does not shrink and ensures the flaky crust.
- After the pie crust has chilled gently place foil to cover the pie and fill the dish with pie weights.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes then carefully remove the weights and foil, brush the dough with an egg wash (egg and water mixed together) I use a silicone pastry brush to brush the egg wash all over. Then bake for an additional 8-10 minutes or until the pie has a gorgeous shiny golden brown crust! Let the pie crust cool completely. You can bake this the day before filling your pie.
For a baked fruit pie or quiche follow recipe instructions
Keywords: pie crust recipe, brown butter dessert recipes