- 2-9 inch Pie Crusts
- 21oz (6 cups) Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 150 grams (3/4 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 30 grams (1/4 Cup) Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, cubed
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Coarse Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400F/205C. Place the first pie dough into the pie plate and place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl add the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and lemon juice, mix until fully combined.
- Add the blueberry filling into the chilled pie dough. Add the cubed butter on top. Place the second pie dough on top and seal the pie crusts together. Fold the excess pie dough on top to create a thicker crust then use your two fingers and thumb to crimp the pie together. Here is a video tutorial to check out.
- In a small bowl whisk together an egg and a splash of water then use a pastry brush to cover the top of the pie in egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and cut a few lines in the top center of the pie so the pie can release the steam while baking.
- Place the pie in the freezer to chill for 10-15 minutes.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake the pie for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes reduce the temperature to 350F/180C. If the crust is already very brown place foil on top or use a pie shield and bake for an additional 40-60 minutes- if the pie has not browned do not put the foil on top. Ideally, the fruit juices should be bubbling for at least 8 minutes before the pie is done- I use my instant-read thermometer to check that the filling is at least 175F/79C. I highly suggest investing in an instant-read thermometer -mine is a Thermapen Mk4.
- Once the pie has finished baking, let the pie cool on a wire rack for at least three hours. If you cut into the pie too quickly all the filling will ooze out, the pie needs the long cooling time to properly set up. Serve with ice cream or Bird's Custard.
If you want you can reheat a pie to re-crisp it and warm it by baking at 375F/191C for 10-15 minutes.
Freezing unbaked pie: Prepare the pie recipe up to step 4 then wrap it in plastic wrap twice and freeze for up to a month. You can bake from frozen just add a little bit of time onto the bake time. Do not thaw the pie before baking, this will cause a soggy crust!!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy blueberry pie, blueberry pie recipe, the best blueberry pie