Silky smooth Swiss meringue buttercream is flavored with Baileys Irish Cream for a delicious frosting perfect on cakes, cupcakes, or even Guinness Brownies! This easy frosting is stable, not overly sweet, and easily made ahead of time.
- 6 Large Egg Whites, at room temp.
- 225 grams (1 Cup + 2 Tablespoons) Granulated Sugar
- 15oz (1 1/2 Cups + 6 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter cubed, room temperature
- 6-10 Tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream, adjust to your preference
- Create a Bain Marie (a small pot with a little water over low heat place a larger heatproof bowl on top making sure the bowl does not touch the water- the steam from the water will cook the mixture) Add the sugar and egg whites to the bowl and whisk until the mixture reaches about 150F/65C or the sugar has dissolved and the texture has slightly thickened and its foamy. If you rub the mixture between your fingers you should not feel the sugar granules. This should take about 3-5 minutes depending on how warm your stove is.
- Add the mixture to the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or to a large bowl with a handheld mixer, whisk on medium speed for 5-8 minutes until the mixture has cooled, it will look thick and glossy.
- Next, add the butter chunks one at a time, the mixture may look curdled and you’ll think you’ve ruined it, keep mixing and it will become a lush smooth texture. If the butter looks like is separating and looks greasy- it could be because its too warm so place the bowl in the fridge for 10-15 minutes then start mixing again.
- Once you have a smooth buttercream add the Baileys and mix again until fully incorporated.
- Store frosting at room temperature.
Keywords: frosting recipe, swiss meringue buttercream, boozy frosting