Homemade Apple Pie is filled with lots of ground cloves for a spectacular fall flavor. This apple pie with cloves recipe is perfect for the cinnamon hater in your life. Made with a homemade crust and easily made a day before serving this is a perfect pie for Thanksgiving or Christmas!
- 14 oz All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 7oz (1 3/4 stick) Unsalted Butter, cold
- 14 Teaspoons Ice Cold Water
- 2 lb Cooking Apples (I prefer Granny Smith/ Bramley Apples)
- 2 Teaspoons lemon juice
- 75 Grams (scant 1/2 cup) Brown Sugar
- 75 Grams (scant 1/2 cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Large Egg
- Splash of milk
- Sift flour and salt together. Add cubed cold butter. Use a pastry blender, your hands or two knives to cut the butter into the flour. This will take some time.
- Once the mixture resembles crumbs add your COLD water. I add it in a little bit at a time. Mix with a round edge knife until the mixture begins to clump together then form into a ball. Wrap lightly in parchment paper and set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. (If chilling overnight let dough sit at room temp for 30 minutes before rolling out)
- Cut 2/3 of the dough off the ball and roll out on a floured surface. Use a floured rolling pin and roll the dough evenly to about a 1/8 of an inch. Place in pie dish.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Peel and cut your apples into medium-sized slices, just under a 1/2 inch thick. Splash some lemon juice on top of the apples to prevent them from turning brown.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine sugar, flour, cloves, nutmeg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Place half of your apples inside the pie and sprinkle half of the sugar mixture on top. Place remaining apples on top and the rest of the sugar mixture.
- Roll out remaining 1/3 of dough for the top of the pie. Make sure to cut some sort of design or just a hole in the dough so the pie has room to breathe.
- Seal the top and bottom pie crust with whatever design you like.
- In a cup mix together an egg, splash or two of milk and a tablespoon of sugar. Using a pastry brush cover the pie crust with it.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the pie is golden brown and the apple filling is bubbling. You can use an instant-read thermometer to check that the juices have cooked properly, the pie filling should be 175F internally.
Recipe adapted from my mothers old Good House Keeping Cookbook
Keywords: clove apple pie, apple pie with cloves, apples and cloves