- 1.5 quart Vanilla Ice Cream
- 12oz Good Quality Chocolate, in small pieces or finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Batch of Stabilized Whipped Cream
- Cocoa Powder for dusting
- Set the ice cream on the counter for 5-8 minutes to soften. While softening take a 9" X 5" X 3" loaf pan and line it with plastic wrap by length and by width so that the plastic overhangs on all 4 sides, this will help you remove the cake from the pan later.
- In a bain-marie or in a microwave-safe bowl add the chocolate and coconut oil and cook in 30-second increments, mixing in between to melt the chocolate. Once the chocolate is almost fully melted take it out and just mix to melt the last few pieces, set aside.
- Using a large cookie scoop add three scoops of softened ice cream to the bottom of the pan, use a small angled spatula to gently spread it into an even layer. Pour some of the melted chocolate on top, just enough to make a thin layer then tilt the pan and use another small angled spatula to spread the chocolate into an even thin layer. Since this is basically a homemade magic shell it will set quite quickly so move fast. Place in the freezer for 3 minutes, or until hardened then add three more scoops of ice cream spread into an even layer then another layer of chocolate, and repeat until you finish with a layer of chocolate. Keep in mind you want to ensure the plastic wrap stays pulled up so it doesn't get stuck in the ice cream layers.
- Let the ice cream cake freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight to set. Make whipped cream and set it aside. Get cocoa powder out and a small sifter and set aside so they are ready to go.
- Gently invert and remove the cake using the plastic wrap and place it on a serving platter, place the chocolate side down and so the ice cream is the top layer. Then use a ribbon piping tip to pipe ribbons onto the cake, you need to work quickly as this is an ice cream cake! Use a small metal sieve to sift some cocoa powder down the middle of the cake for the iconic Viennetta look. Freeze for at least another 2 hours for the whipped cream to set.
- When ready to serve use a large knife dipped in hot water to cut a slice, dip the knife in hot water and wipe dry after each cut to make sure you see all the beautiful layers. Store leftovers in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to a month.
Wilton Decorating Tip, No.104 PetalBuy Now →
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Chill Time: 6 Hours
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Layer
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: homemade viennetta cake, easy ice cream loaf cake, ice cream and magic shell cake