Sour Cream Coffee Cake is what all your breakfast dreams are made of. This soft and moist cake has a cinnamon swirl and is topped with a thick streusel crumble topping. Step-by-step photos show you how to bake this delicious coffee cake recipe.
- 75 Grams (Heaping 1/3 Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 125 Grams (1 Cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 200 Grams (1 Cup) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons Salted Butter, melted
- 250 Grams (2 Cups) All-Purpose/ Plain Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Salted Butter, at room temperature
- 1oz (2 Tablespoons) Vegetable Oil
- 200 Grams (1 Cup) Granulated/ Caster Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 10oz (1 1/4 Cup) Sour Cream, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment so that the parchment paper overhangs on the sides, this will help you pull the baked cake out of the pan later. Grease the parchment with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the brown sugar and cinnamon until fully combined, set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour in melted butter and use a spatula to mix it all together to moisten everything, this will take a couple of minutes, you want a wet sand texture, thick clumps are good. Set aside while you prepare the cake.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl with a handheld electric whisk beat the sugar, oil, and butter together for 2-3 minutes, scrape down the bowl after the first minute then continue mixing. You want a light fluffy mixture.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition and making sure the egg is fully combined, there should be no trace of egg yolk. Add the vanilla in with the last egg.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of the dry ingredients until just almost combined, then gently fold in 1/2 of the sour cream until just combined, then repeat with 1/3 of the dry, the rest of the sour cream, and finish with the remaining flour. Do not over mix.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan then sprinkle all of the cinnamon swirl mixture on top in an even layer. Scoop spoonfuls of the batter on top of the cinnamon swirl layer and use an angled spatula to spread the cake batter into an even layer, if some of the cinnamon swirls on top it is okay. Sprinkle all of the crumble on top into an even layer. Bake for 40-50 minutes, since the cake is covered in a crumble it is best to check by using a toothpick test, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake, moist crumbs are okay but if there is any wet batter the cake will need to cook longer.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before using the parchment overhang to gently and quickly remove it from the pan. Best served the day it is made but leftovers will last in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: sour cream coffee cake recipe, how to make sour cream coffee cake, easy coffee cake recipe