Learn how to cook filet mignon, you can have a restaurant quality steak dinner at home! Just a little bit of patience and some good ingredients are needed! Step-by-step photo show you to make this filet mignon recipe.
- 2-(6-8oz 1 1/2- 2 inch) Good Quality Filet Mignon
- 1- 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1- 1/2 Teaspoons Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon High- Smoke Point Oil; I use Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil or Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Salted Butter
- Try my Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Roasted Carrots
- Get your steaks out of the fridge about an hour before you plan on cooking.
- Turn your oven to 400F/204C. Pat your steaks dry with a paper towel, you want to dry them completely.
- In a small bowl whisk together the salt and pepper. Use clean hands to salt and pepper on all sides of the steak, I like to use my hand to really press the salt and pepper into the steak.
- With a cast-iron skillet or oven-proof stainless steel skillet place it over high heat and add the oil, at this point turn on your vent and/or open your windows! Once the pan has been heating for 5 minutes add the butter, this will smoke up.
- Then immediately add the filet mignon and sear the steak on each side for 2 minutes, I set my phone next to the stovetop and press the timer on. Do not move the steak while it is searing, this is creating that nice crust. Then I will sear the edges of the steak for 15-20 seconds or so, I use tongs to hold the steak upright too. At this point I like to stick my thermometer into the side middle of the steak- not from the top down, you will not get an accurate reading. This way you will know how far along your steak is, as sometimes you use a different burner, or different pan they can all affect how far along the steak cooks.
- Now carefully as the pan will be hot transfer the oven-safe skillet to the oven and let cook for 6-8 minutes for medium-rare. Depending on the size, mainly thickness, of your steak this will take more or less time. Keep in mind the steaks will rise in temperature about 5-10 degrees while resting. To check your filet with a digital thermometer stick the probe into the side of the steak and push into the middle, do not take the reading from pressing the probe in on top. I look for around 118F-120F to pull them out of the oven for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a clean plate and cover with foil and let rest for 7-10 minutes, this is critical to continue cooking the steak but more importantly, it helps the juices redistribute.
- Rare is 120F-125F
- Medium Rare is 125F-130F
- Medium is 135F-140F
- Medium Well is 145-150F
- Well Done is 160F +
When measuring the temperature of the steak stick the probe into the side of the filet as opposed to sticking it into the top. Also, make sure you stick it into the side and into the center.
Keywords: restaurant style filet mignon at home, easy filet mignon recipe, the best filet mignon recipe, oven baked filet mignon