This recipe for an old-fashioned egg custard pie will knock your socks off. This simple but delicious pie is made with a few ingredients to make the most creamy custard filling against a nice pie crust. Step-by-step photos show you how to bake this egg custard pie recipe.
- 1 Unbaked 9-inch Pie Crust, homemade or store-bought
- 10oz (1 1/4 Cup) Whole Milk
- 8oz (1 Cup) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Large Whole Eggs + 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 200 Grams (1 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon-1 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C. Take a piece of parchment paper and crumble it up into a ball then uncrumble. Place pie dough into the pie dish and design as you wish. Place the uncrumbled piece of parchment inside the dish to cover the pie dough completely, you want the pie crust covered too. Add pie weights or dried beans or rice to help weigh down the pie crust. Once the oven is properly preheated place the pie dish on a baking sheet and par-bake for 8 minutes.
- While the pie crust is baking prepare the filling. In a large pot over low-medium heat warm the milk and cream until just before boiling.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, eggs, vanilla bean paste, and salt, mix it all for a minute or two to ensure everything is fully combined.
- When the milk mixture is warmed slowly add a little bit into the egg mixture and whisk immediately, then slowly add a little bit more. This is tempering the eggs to ensure that they do not end up scrambling. Slowly add all of the milk mixture, mix until everything is combined.
- When the crust is done par-baking carefully remove the parchment paper and weights. Using a strainer -pour the custard into the pie dish and use a pastry brush to use the remaining bit of custard in the bowl to "egg-wash" the pie dough to create a golden brown sheen on the crust.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, you want the outer part of the custard to be set but the center couple inches to still be wobbly, you are looking for a slow wobble not a fast juggle. If you use an internal thermometer check for 170F/77C- 175F/80C. Let the pie cool on a wire rack for one hour then gently wrap in plastic wrap, ensuring the plastic wrap does not touch the pie. Chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours. If desired sprinkle ground nutmeg on top of the pie. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days, keep in mind the crust will lose some of its crunch the longer it sits.
Keywords: custard pie recipe, egg custard pie recipe, how to make egg custard pie, egg custard tart