Delicious chocolate cake, cookies & cream ice cream, homemade hot fudge & whipped cream make this Ice Cream Layer Cake an absolute dream! This recipe is easy but all about planning your time out and working quickly with the ice cream! This Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Chocolate Layer Cake is perfect for your next party!
Chocolate Cake Layer
- 200 Grams (1 cup) Granulated Sugar
- 125 Grams (1 cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 45 Grams (Heaping 1/4 cup) Dutch-process Cocoa powder (current fave: Bensdorp Dutch Cocoa Powder)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temp.
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2oz (1/4 cup) Vegetable Oil
- 4oz (1/2 cup) Whole Milk or Buttermilk, at room temp.
- 4oz(1/2 cup) Hot Coffee (I put 1 tbsp of instant coffee and pour hot water on top, let sit for 1 minute)
- 6oz Chocolate, chopped
- 2oz (1/4 cup) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of salt
- 16oz (2 cups) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Teaspoons Dry Milk Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1.5 Quarts Cookies & Cream Ice Cream
- 6 Oreos
Chocolate Cake Layer
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease one 8 inch round pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs, vanilla, oil, and milk mix until fully combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated. Add in hot coffee, the mixture will be very thin. Pour evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze overnight or until use.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat add the chocolate and heavy cream, mixing and cooking until the chocolate is completely melted. Take the saucepan off of heat and add the butter, vanilla, and salt. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
Freezing Ice Cream Cake Layers
- Take the cake pan and place a layer of plastic wrap across one side and then another layer of plastic wrap so the whole inside of the cake pan is covered with plastic wrap and there is plastic wrap overhanging on the edges.
- Then place half of the cookies and cream ice cream inside the plastic in the cake pan and use an offset spatula to spread it out to an even layer then fold the overhang of the plastic wrap on top of the ice cream cake layer so it is fully covered. Then place in their fridge and the freezer for at least four hours if not overnight. Repeat the same steps for the second layer of ice cream.
- In the bowl of the bowl of an electric stand mixer add your heavy whipping cream, milk dry milk powder, and powdered sugar. Fitted with a whisk attachment beat the mixture for 3 to 4 to 5 minutes or until you have stiff peaks.
- Take the chocolate cake layer and using a serrated knife or a cake saw slice it in half evenly. Place one layer of chocolate cake on top of the cake board then take an ice cream cake layer out of the freezer unwrap it and place it directly on top of the cake layer. Then do the same with another cake layer then ice cream cake layer. I like to kind of press it together, it does get a bit messy. Then place it back in the freezer while you make your whipped cream.
- When I cover any cake in frosting I find it easiest to use a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and pipe around the whole cake and then using a bench scraper to clean up the edges. Set aside 1 cup of whipped cream for decorating the top later. I really advise that you get everything ready because you have to move very quickly when working with an ice cream cake. Once covered in whipped cream place the cake back in the freezer to set up for at least 30 minutes.
- Now pour the hot fudge on top of the cake- you could use a spoon to drizzle it or if you want to be more precise like I did use a squeezy bottle to make the drips and then use an offset spatula to cover the top. Then place the cake back in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Then using a star tip the Wilton 1M works great pipe the remaining whipped cream on top of the hot fudge in a circle outlining the cake. Then press and crushed Oreos. Return the cake to the freezer for at least four hours if not up to two days before serving.
- When you are ready to serve to take the cake out of the freezer and let it sit for a minute or two before slicing to take the chill off.
- You could sub storebought hot fudge and cool whip for a quicker recipe
Keywords: how to make an ice cream layer cake, chocolate ice cream cake, cookies and cream dessert recipe