- 8oz (1 Cup) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 8oz Mascarpone, softened to room temperature
- 313- 375 grams (2 1/2- 3 Cups) Powdered Sugar/ Confectioners Sugar
- 70 grams (Scant 3/4 Cup*) Cocoa Powder ( I prefer Dutch-process- Bensdorp Cocoa Powder)
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream or Whole Milk
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer beat the butter for 2 to 3 minutes on medium to high speed. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Add the mascarpone and mix for another minute or two to combine.
- When the butter and mascarpone mixture is ready add the cocoa powder and half of the confectioner's sugar and beat for one minute until combined then increase the speed to medium-high and beat for two more minutes.
- Add in the remaining confectioner's sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and cream, mix on low until incorporated then increase the speed to medium-high and let the frosting mix for 3 to 4 minutes. If you desire a thicker frosting add up to another cup of confectioner's sugar. Use the frosting right away or store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Let come to room temperature then re-whip until light and fluffy again.
*Since this frosting is made with mascarpone I would store it in the refrigerator. You can let the cake sit out for an hour or so before enjoying it if you want it to soften up.
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate mascarpone, mascarpone frosting,