The best easy recipe for chocolate cream cheese frosting! Made with cream cheese, butter, cocoa powder, milk, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar this frosting will be your new favorite chocolate frosting. This frosting has a delicious tang from the cream cheese creating a perfectly sweet, not overly sweet frosting recipe!
- 8oz Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 70 Grams (Scant 3/4 Cup*) Cocoa Powder ( I prefer Dutch-process- Bensdorp Cocoa Powder)
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons Whole Milk or Heavy Cream
- 313- 375 Grams (2 1/2- 3 Cups) Powdered Sugar/ Confectioners Sugar
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer beat the softened cream cheese and butter for 2 to 3 minutes on medium to high speed. You can also do this in a large bowl with a handheld mixer. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- While the cream cheese is beating sift the cocoa powder into a clean bowl and sift the powdered sugar into another clean bowl. This helps prevent a lumpy frosting.
- When the butter and cream cheese mixture is ready add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and beat for one minute, if the mixture is very thick add a splash of milk or heavy cream.
- Add in 2 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar and mix on low for one minute, when the powdered sugar is combined increase the mixing speed to medium-high and let the frosting mix for 3 to 4 minutes. If you desire a thicker frosting add the remaining powdered sugar.
Keywords: chocolate frosting, frosting recipe, cream cheese frosting