- 8oz Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 70 grams (Scant 3/4 Cup*) Cocoa Powder ( I prefer Dutch-process- Bensdorp Cocoa Powder)
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons Whole Milk or Heavy Cream
- 313- 375 grams (2 1/2- 3 Cups) Powdered Sugar/ Confectioners Sugar
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer beat the softened cream cheese and butter for 2 to 3 minutes on medium to high speed. You can also do this in a large bowl with a handheld mixer. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- While the cream cheese is beating sift the cocoa powder into a clean bowl and sift the powdered sugar into another clean bowl. This helps prevent a lumpy frosting.
- When the butter and cream cheese mixture is ready add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and beat for one minute, if the mixture is very thick add a splash of milk or heavy cream.
- Add in 2 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar and mix on low for one minute, when the powdered sugar is combined increase the mixing speed to medium-high and let the frosting mix for 3 to 4 minutes. If you desire a thicker frosting add the remaining powdered sugar.
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate frosting, frosting recipe, cream cheese frosting