- 8oz (1 Cup) Salted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 450 grams ( 3 3/4 Cup) Confectioners Sugar
- 67 grams (3/4 Cup) Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4-6 Tablespoons Heavy Cream or Whole Milk
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or a large bowl with a handheld mixer beat the butter for 5 full minutes, until light and fluffy.
- In a very large bowl sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder to remove any lumps, this is crucial to smooth frosting.
- Add half of the sugar/ cocoa to butter then beat for another 5 minutes then add the remaining powdered sugar and mix for 3 more minutes. Make sure to scrape down the bowl every minute or so to ensure everything is evenly combined.
- Add the vanilla and three tablespoons of heavy cream and beat for another 2 minutes, you may want to add the remaining heavy cream if desired.
- Spread or pipe frosting. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days, let come to room temperature, and mix before using.
Enough to very lightly frost a 2 Layer 8-inch Cake or frost 12-16 Cupcakes.
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate frosting recipe, chocolate American buttercream recipe, how to make chocolate buttercream