Fall is upon us. I keep telling myself that anyways. With the 85F weather here in Orange County, CA the colder weather is not exactly happening. Last week we had one day of rain. Okay, it wasn’t really raining it was more of the universe spitting down on us. Everyone immediately threw their boots on, sweaters, coats, scarves the whole sha bang. Only to be back to 90F weather the next few days.
I long for the colder weather, the boots, the scarves, the layering, the pumpkin, the apple, the warmth of a fire. I need to understand it ain’t happening any time soon.
In honor of my want for fall I decided to make this caramel apple cake for dessert one night. I found a Paula Deen recipe so I immediately wanted to use it! Right before I was about to pour the batter into the pan an idea struck! How about folding in some sour cream? I mean what doesn’t taste better with the addition of sour cream? Your right, nothing. Sour cream seems to make everything better. This cake included. Well to be fair I have never tasted the cake without the sour cream but I just think it wouldn’t be the same!!
Please let me know if you make this Caramel Apple Cake!Print
A moist yellow cake is baked full of chunks of apples, baked and then poked all over and drenched in homemade caramel sauce. This dessert is delicious!
- 2 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable oil
- 3 Cups AP Flour
- 2 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 Cups Fresh Diced Apples ( I used Granny Smith)
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 Sticks of butter
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/8 Cup Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9 X 13-inch pan.
- Cream together the sugar and oils. Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in flour until fully combined.
- Fold in diced apples and sour cream
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once the cake is out of the oven immediately begin making the caramel topping
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat combine the butter, brown sugar and heavy cream. Mix constantly and let boil for 2 minutes.
- While the cake is still hot poke holes all over the cake, then pour caramel sauce all over.
Keywords: baked apple dessert, caramel apple dessert recipe