Easy Brown Butter Pumpkin Cake filled with Dulce de Leche and a Brown Butter Frosting, you will love this Pumpkin Cake Recipe
Cake always seems so boring. Dry, overly sweet fake tasting frosting. Not into that. But moist pumpkin cake with dulce de leche filling and a brown butter frosting, yeah I am SOOO into this easy pumpkin dessert recipe.
This baby came to me just when I needed it. It had been about three weeks, my carpel tunnel had been acting up, my lower back had been bugging me at bootcamp. Then one morning I brushed my hair. Yes, all I did was brush my hair. And then went my neck. Out it was.
Seriously brushing my hair threw out my neck/ back. It was miserable.
Off to the Acupuncturist. Only this was 7:45am and they don’t even open till 9am. I called about 6 times before 9 hoping someone would answer, no such luck. But at exactly 9am I booked an appointment, 2:45pm. That was a looooong way away.
I had acupuncture, cupping and a therapeutic massage, I could finally move my neck. It’s still very painful but it moves. Hoping I wake up tomorrow with a new found love for the freedom of looking side to side without a striking pain in my back.
When something like that happens to me I find it an excuse to eat whatever the hell I want. In this case, Brown Butter Pumpkin Dulce De Leche Cake and a few squares of chocolate. Food good measure, ya know?
As my sister Lydia said this is “Crack”. The pumpkin, brown butter, dulce de leche, brown butter frosting and crunchy pumpkin seeds.
Brown Butter Pumpkin Cake Recipe
Brown Butter Pumpkin Cake filled with Dulce de Leche and a Brown Butter Frosting
- 4oz Browned Butter, at room temp.
- 150 Grams Granulated Sugar
- 100 Grams Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 15oz Pumpkin Puree
- 8oz All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4oz Browned Butter
- 4oz Cream Cheese
- 250 Grams Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 6oz of Dulce de Leche
- Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds (Optional)
- Prior to making the cake brown some butter, 8oz to be exact. Then let cool to room temp. You can expedite the process by putting the butter in the fridge/ freezer after browning.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two deep 8 inch cake pans, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment on beat the browned butter with both sugars. Beat on medium speed for 4-6 minutes, until very light and fluffy. Then add in vegetable oil and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time then vanilla extract. Add pumpkin puree until fully combined.
- In a seperate bowl sift together the all purpose flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Gently mix dry ingredients into wet mixture, until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 38-40 minutes or until when middle of cake is touched it bounces back. Let cool on wire rack until completely cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment beat the browned butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes. Add in powdered sugar, vanilla extract and heavy cream- beat on low until powdered sugar in incorporated. Then beat for another 4-5 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread dulce de leche on top of first layer. Top second cake layer on top.
- Spread frosting on top and sides to fully cover cake. Sprinkle Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds on edge of cake for decor. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake
Coffee Heath Bar Crunch Cake
Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake #chocolateparty
Salted Caramel Red Velvet Cupcakes