Breakfast is about the only meal of the day I can usually control myself to eat something “healthy” so I often avoid going out for pancakes, or making monkey bread or cinnamon rolls. But every so often a girls got to get down and durrrty with some homemade dough. Nothing in the world tastes as good as homemade bread. I seriously adore homemade bread. I just bough a french baguette pan so stay tuned!
Anyways it was Friday night so naturally I decided I should make some overnight rolls to bring into work on Saturday morning. I absolutely love these cinnamon rolls but I wanted something different. So strawberry rolls it was.
I won’t lie this recipe is time consuming, letting the dough rise, but honestly if you have some patience it is WELL WORTH THE WAIT! And can I say how great it is to spend time the night before so in the morning you just pop these babies into the oven, that’s my kind of homemade breakfast!!
I took these to work and they went QUICK! Some people asked for two! The strawberries, brown sugar and corn starch cooked up nicely and made a delicious almost jam like filling. And you could just make a sweet glaze to go on top but I wanted the whole cream cheese frosting!! I mean come on, fresh-baked rolls and cream cheese frosting?! If you don’t love that we can’t be friends, just kidding! We can, but I will try to convince you 😉
- 1 package instant dry yeast
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp warm water (110F-115F)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 1/2 tsp tsp nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 – 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temp.
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, butter, milk powder, salt and two cups of flour. Mix until smooth. Slowly add in remaining flour to form a soft (not super sticky) dough. If using a dough hook, switch out the mixer hook and knead for 5-6 minutes in the electric mixer. I take the dough out of the mixer every minute or so and knead by hand. If not using a dough hook put the dough on a floured work surface and knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200F and then turn oven OFF. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place the dough inside.Place a clean kitchen towel on top of bowl and place bowl in warm but not on oven.
- Check dough after an hour it should have doubled in size, punch down. And place on a floured work surface. roll dough into a 16inchX 12inch rectangle. Grease a 9×13 baking pan and set aside.
- Take the frozen strawberries directly out of the freezer and slice into small chunks, (small enough that when you roll the dough you can still keep a tight roll). In a medium bowl mix together the strawberry chunks, corn starch and brown sugar.
- Spread the butter on top of dough then sprinkle the strawberry mixture evenly over the whole rectangle of dough. Roll the dough as tightly as possible. Then using a very sharp knife slice the dough into 12 even rolls. Place rolls into prepared pan, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge over night or let rise until doubled in size (30 ish minutes) and bake.
- When you wake up take strawberry rolls out of fridge and set on counter to rise/thaw for 45 ish minutes. Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While baking beat cream cheese for 2 minutes in large bowl. Add butter and beat for another 2 minutes. Pour in vanilla extract, heavy cream and powdered sugar. Beat all together for 4 minutes. Slather on top of cinnamon rolls.
- Once rolls are baked, let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before slathering cream cheese frosting on top.