I made this pie 6 days ago, a very long long long 6 days ago. I made it on a whim, I only had a pinch of time before work. But something told me I needed to bake. Usually when this happens I succeed.
This was pure success.
I took it out of the oven, drizzled the salted caramel on top and could just tell this was going to be a winner. I took it to work that evening, I also was training my baby sister at work that night- oh what a fun night! Everyone had a slice and LOVED it! Lydia, my sister, said it was soooo good it was on the same level as my chocolate cake! Let me tell you Lydia speaks honestly, I can even tell by looking at her if she likes what I make.
This pie is OVER the top. You must eat it with ice cream because pie without ice cream is just wrong!!! I will probably make this for Thanksgiving because it was that good, or maybe I’ll make it tonight for…..well for being the weekend!!! LOL
You will love this Salted Caramel Upside Down Apple Pie. Make it now!!! Hope you all have a fabulous weekend I’ve got Birthdays and Baby Showers this weekend– which means lots of food!! 🙂 🙂
PS you can always make life easier and use store bough crust, caramel sauce and sliced apples.
- 2 cups ap flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp shortening
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 7 tbsp orange juice
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 7 medium apples (I used granny smith and pink lady), peeled and sliced to 1/4 inch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup salted caramel
- In a large bowl mix together the flour and salt, cut in the shortening and butter. Once the mixture resembles crumbs slowly add orange juice with a fork mixing until the whole mixture begins to form a ball. Divide ball into two pieces, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a 9 inch deep dish pie plate with foil and HEAVILY grease with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl combine butter, brown sugar and pecans. Place mixture evenly on bottom of pie plate.
- Mix apple slices, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon nutmeg and cloves until fully combined. Roll one ball of pastry out to fit pie plate. Place half of apples evenly on bottom of pastry drizzle 1/4 cup salted caramel on top, place remaining apples then another 1/4 cup salted caramel.
- Roll out second ball of pastry to fit pie. Seal both pastry pieces together, you do not need to make a beautiful design because the pie is going to be flipped upside down. Make sure to still cut four 1-inch slits in the pie crust before baking. Bake for 50-55 minutes, check pie at 35 minutes if crust is becoming to brown cover with foil for remaining baking time. Let pie cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Place serving dish on top of pie and flip over. Drizzle pie with remaining salted caramel. Serve with ice cream.
Pie Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
One of my favorite pies is Apple pie with Cloves