I have this sick obsession with chocolate and toffee or caramel. I can NOT get enough of it. Seriously, I think they are the best combined. Whether I am eating a Rolo, salted caramel hot chocolate or california brittle from see’s candy I seriously cannot control myself.
The other day I was supposed to bring a dessert dish to a baby shower. It was 8am Sunday morning and I needed to be at the party by 12pm.
I have made many versions of these in the past but it had been about a year since I had laid my taste buds into these scrumptious bars. It was then I decided I would make carmelitas!
These bars are a huge hit. Everyone loves them. Everyone. I made a smaller portion but if you have a big party to go to feel free to double the recipe to make a 9 X 13 batch.
Whip these up in 15 minutes. Bake them for 25 minutes. Then, the hard part comes let them cool so the delicious caramel can set!! Self control people! Use it!! Then, when they are cool DEVOUR!!
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 30 unwrapped caramels
- ¾ cup butter melted (1½ sticks)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 15 Rolo's
- 1½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 8 X 8 pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a saucepan over low-medium heat melt the caramels and heavy cream. Watch carefully as they can burn easily. Once melted set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix brown sugar, flour, oats, baking soda and melted butter together. Press half of mixture into pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Take pan out of the oven after 10 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips and Rolo's on top of the dough. Then pour the melted caramel on top. Sprinkle rest of dough on top and bake for another 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
(PS- since I lack self-control I sped up the cooling process by sticking them in the fridge once they cooled for 45 minutes on a rack)