I like cake. I also like Ben & Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar Crunch Ice Cream. I like it and my boyfriend loves it. Those b&j tubs are so small that who doesn’t go through a tub in one sitting?!
Things are not as hectic and crazy for me right now so I have had time to day dream about baking. Last week I made this cake and naturally cake was still on my mind. I just happened to be finishing off a tub of Coffee Heath Bar Crunch when I found myself thinking of cake.
I used my nan’s coffee cake recipe and made a coffee buttercream and coffee whipped cream to fill the cake with. I also used an obnoxious amount of Heath Bar’s cut up. Looking back on this cake my mother and I decided next time I make it (because there will be!!) chocolate covered coffee beans would be a fabulous addition
This cake is rich, decedent and you don’t need a huge slice. But I don’t need to go to Target everyday either. Oops!
Coffee Heath Bar Crunch Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp.
- Instant coffee ( as strong as you like)
- Hot water ( more or less depending on how strong you want coffee flavor)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 20 mini Heath Bars, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 8 or 9 inch pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add sugar, eggs and butter mix until fully combined
- In a cup pour some hot water over some instant coffee granules. Add as much or as little as you want to the cake batter. Set the rest aside for frosting.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. I always start check my cakes at about 25 minutes and check with a toothpick.
- Once cooked let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl beat heavy cream, powdered sugar and around 2 tbsp of coffee mixture. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- On serving plate place one layer of cake then spread with coffee whipped cream. Sprinkle 1/2 of the chopped Heath bars on top and place second cake on top. Place in fridge while making frosting.
- In a mixing bowl combine the heavy cream, butter, coffee mixture, and powdered sugar mix for 3-5 minutes.
- Spread the frosting on top of cake and sprinkle remaining chopped Heath bars. Store in fridge.
Here’s to the last bite!