I find myself constantly arguing with myself whether I really like cupcakes or not. Obviously I LOVE a good cupcake. But the whole every other corner having a cupcake store thing kinda bugged me. And then ordering a cupcake from one of those stores and it being dry and crumbly or the frosting tasting fake and yucky or just so not worth eating has made me think negatively upon these usually sweet, moist, delicious little cakes!
Anyways, I made these and… I and quite a few other people LOVED them! So delish. Moist, chocolatey, full of flavor, rich… I could go on and on describing them. I topped them with snickers but honestly you could do anything really or no topping at all! If you are over the whole cupcake fad these will definitely make you appreciate why they became a fad in the first place.
Chocolate Mousse Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes Topped with Snickers
- 1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 small box Jello Chocolate Fudge instant pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 stick softened butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 6 regular size Snickers
- Preheat oven 350F and line tray with cupcake liners.
- In bowl of an electric mixer place cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, milk and sour cream. Mix until well combined. Distribute batter into cupcake liners evenly. Bake for 20-23 minutes. You will know when the cupcake is done if you stick a toothpick in the center of the center cupcake and it comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack. When completely cool start the chocolate mousse.
- Melt the milk chocolate either in the microwave or over a double broiler. Be careful when you are melting chocolate chips because they go from melted to burnt in seconds. I like to let them melt until the chips are really shiny and starting to look mushy and then take them off of the double broiler or out of the microwave and stir until creamy. Once melted set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff.
- Once the chocolate has cooled for 5-10 minutes gently fold it in to the whipped cream. Use a large piping bag and pipe the mousse into the center of the cupcakes.
- For the frosting in the bowl of an electric mixer whip the butter for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Mix until the perfect frosting consistency! Spread or pipe on top of cupcakes.
- Chop snickers bars into small pieces and place on top of cupcakes
Recipe source: Kevin & Amanda